Psoriasis. It ain’t fun. Thankfully, there’s a lot we can do with herbs to alleviate the symptoms and tackle the root causes of psoriasis and similar skin conditions.
Even if you don’t suffer from psoriasis, this skin-clearing protocol can be helpful for eczema, acne, or if you’re simply looking to give your skin some TLC.
Psoriasis occurs when skin cells reproduce too rapidly. New skin moves in too quickly for the dead skin cells to be shed, and the accumulation of skin cells results in the silvery scales of psoriasis. Psoriasis can be inherited or acquired, but either way it’s extremely uncomfortable and can flare up at the most inopportune times.
The herbs and lifestyle recommendations included in this protocol are designed to cleanse the skin of toxins and to “reset” the immune system. Many skin conditions are caused by an overwhelmed immune system and unprocessed toxins in the body.
Herbs & Supplements:
- Coconut oil or Ghee – a tablespoon with each meal or taken in warm water
Flax oil – same (note: you can’t take too much of this stuff!)
- Burdock – start with 2 capsules a day, work up to 4
- Mushroom supplement – 1-2 capsules daily
- Lymph Symphony tea – 3 cups a day
- Plenty of water – 6-8 glasses a day
- Nettles (a good option if Burdock proves to be too strong) – 4-6 caps a day
- Gator Balm – apply daily to the affected area.
- Calendula oil
- Loose gauze – apply Gator Balm and/or calendula oil and wrap loosely with gauze at night.
- Daily exposure to sunlight
- Saltwater soaks – also add ginger tea to baths for added benefit
- Gentle exfoliation with a loofah, followed by an application of Gator Balm or calendula oil
- Avoid inflammatory foods
- nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, etc.)
- hydrogenated oils & fried foods
- raw, tropical fruits
- heavy animal fats (lean beef only, coldwater fish only, etc.)
- sulfuric vegetables like garlic and onions
If you can’t avoid these foods or you have a night out, take a Turmeric supplement during or after the meal, or drink a little turmeric powder in some water to aid the liver in digestion and assimilation of the fats.
Aim for foods that are mild and easy to digest. Antioxidants are a plus: dark-colored juices like grape, pomegranate, blueberry, etc. Eating lots of steamed greens such as kale, collards, of spinach provides the skin with softening, nourishing minerals and cleansing chlorophyll.
- Keep a food journal to track foods that trigger a flare-up.
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid cigarettes
Psoriasis is very often brought on or worsened by emotional stress. A toxic emotional situation can affect the colon and liver just as adversely as environmental toxins.
- Keep a journal to track stresses that cause flare-ups.
- Consider a hatha yoga practice, which focuses on breathing exercises and stress management (different from bikram or other workout-based yoga practices).
This protocol is meant to be followed for three months. After three months, intensive liver and colon detoxification can begin if necessary.